[VicPiMakers Projects] Can-bus like apartment project

George Bowden gtbowdeng at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 14:11:51 EDT 2020

Hi all
How to ground devices on a DIY low speed fault tolerant Can Bus??

I'm planning about a dozen sensors in several rooms in my apartment , a
couple actuators, a few micro controllers and a Raspberry PI communications
hub that connected to the internet for sending SMS messages to my phone .
STM32 microcontrollers don't normally come with wifi so a wired network of
these cheap devices in an apartment is reasonable.

I've chosen a single unshielded twisted pair Can Bus, tacked in the ceiling
corners where it is almost invisible.  Yes, I thought about doing it other
ways and chose this.  The antenna aspects might be challenging..

I'm using the fault tolerant low speed can bus standard.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus#/media/File:ISO11898-3_Waveform.svg>
The bus will be optically isolated from the balcony.   Can I use ground
from AC power as a common ground between devices?  I think ground loops in
this environment will be negligible.

[image: image.png]

--
George Bowden, vice president, Victoria Computer Club
gtbowdeng at gmail.com