[VicPiMakers Projects] cyber-punk ARM64 uConsole

Peter Sprague peter.geovision at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 10 03:14:08 EST 2022

Speaking of kool kids, I pre-ordered the A-06 version of these:
https://www.clockworkpi.com/uconsole

Craig had an early Pine-64 11.6 inch ARM laptop, which has been updated
to a 14 inch with similar specs and pricing as the A-06. Decided to take
a ringer on the uConsole after the various editions of Pine-64 tablet
and laptop go in/out of availability. Hams using the Pine-64 SMB for SDR
have had issues with the supported OS vs Pi.  There also seems to be a
bit of internal politics splattering about with Pine-64.

Use case:

  * For SOTA/POTA activations - want to do FT8 digital ham signaling
    from the top of mountains or chilling in parks. Digital can be
    fairly CPU intensive, so its always an experiment to get the balance
    of processing vs weight/energy usage/decoding efficiency.  Prefer
    equipment that is light, power conserving and rugged - think banging
    around a backpack up a mountain
  * To provide inputs to my revived robotics project.  Thinking direct
    control via game pad, screen to display - camera imaging, location
    on a map, and AI/ML Lidar interpretation of surroundings
  * ????

Let you know how the adventure goes

Peter Sprague MSc.
GeoVision Environmental Informatics