[VicPiMakers Projects] Jim's Challenge (re-posted from Slack)

James Briante briantej at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 00:22:35 EDT 2020

George, I liked your comments! Looking forward to seeing your solution
using the almost forgotten language FORTH. In the mid eighties, I had
designed and built a desktop computer using the chip set, R65F11 with
RF65FR1 ROM manufactured by Rockwell International.  The RF65FR1 ROM
contained the interpreter language dubbed RSC-FORTH. In addition to the
R65F11 and RF65FR1 ROM, a basic working basic system could be built just
using a 2016 2K8 RAM and a handful of TTL ICs. The R65F11 controller
required no built-in monitor because the I/O was via a RS232 dumb terminal.
The marketing of the desktop went nowhere even though the final design was
on a PCB board and included two 3 ½ inch one sided floppy disks that had
just been introduced. The interest in FORTH dwindled part because memory
became cheap. I still have ½ dozen R65F11, one ROM and three programming
manuals and over the years I’ve been tempted to put one together but never
found the time.

Happy FORTHing.