[VicPiMakers General] falling into IPv6 rabbit hole, never to be seen again? Can Frodo make the journey with help of Shaw support techs?

Peter Sprague peter.geovision at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 13 15:46:45 EST 2022

Craig,

Alas Shaw continued with their foot dragging and business support staff
who were completely out of their element with IPv6.

Here is my static ip WAN interfact status that clearly show IPv6:

IPv4 Address
    184.71.17.82 //
Subnet mask IPv4
    255.255.255.252 //
Gateway IPv4
    184.71.17.81 //
IPv6 Link Local
    fe80::208:a2ff:fe0d:47dc%igb0 //
IPv6 Address
    2604:3d08:0:1b:e942:b77e:de6e:1e8d //
Subnet mask IPv6
    128 //
Gateway IPv6
    fe80::201:5cff:feab:4e45%igb0 //
DNS servers
    2001:4e8:0:400b::13 //

    2001:4e8:0:4008::6

Dragged out an old WRT54GSv2 with 8mb flash & 32mb ram.  Was using
DD-WRT, but reflashed with OpenWRT V22.03.2.

Idea was to use an open port on my Shaw modem to only pass IPv6 to a
isolated IPv6 only experimental/learning LAN.  Not happening.

This morning went with a Hurricane Electric tunnel across my Shaw IPv4,
and now have a /48 IPv6 network with an old laptop using Fedora 36 with
its firewall tightened down.

Now what?  Got all this modern network but not sure what to play with
next?  IPv6 firewalling?  Secure webserving?  Maybe a IPv6 Matrix
Synapse server on FreeBSD Pi3?  ???

Sounds like the block is at Shaw for any serious IPV6 networking and usage.

Been using PFSense going on 20 years, so I can fudge my way around. Not
an expert by a long shot, but can usually get the job done with some
effort on my relatively simple LAN.  Run 3 distinct LANs off my 2
PFsense routers from the Shaw modem.  Static IPV4 for public webserver,
API, etc.  Shaw dynamic IPV4 for internal household. Modem router did
show some sort of IPV6 allocation on the dynamic side, but I have
bypassed the Shaw router to go straight through into my low powered
PFsense router for our personal house LAN after constantly wrestling
with the Shaw router.  Shaw tech said that was his preferred way for
small business networks.

Used OpenWRT in many years past, but it is only on one of my old Linksys
54G AP points and is very out of date.

My starting goal was to just dabble on non-critical infrastructure to
learn and be prepared when I need to more fully move to IPV6. Powers to
be seem to be making that an almost impossible task with no support.

One option might be is to set up another experimental LAN that is IPV6
only off the Shaw modem router.  Not sure if that would even be feasible
with my current configuration, but will review.  I also have a spare
PFsense router that was intended to be a fall-over router, but is not
being used.  Pretty sure I have another 54G w/ OpenWRT laying around
that sounds like I might be better to start with as long as its updated
and can support IPV6.

Have a good Sunday,

Peter Sprague MSc.
GeoVision Environmental Informatics