[VicPiMakers General] IPv6 discussion on hacker news

Craig Miller cvmiller at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:13:21 EST 2022

Hi Peter,

I have a couple of comments. I am sorry to hear you didn't have much
success getting IPv6 to work with pfsense. pfsense is not for beginners,
and IPv6 really is a different protocol, and we shouldn't assume it
works just like IPv4, because it doesn't. I have heard that pfsense has
issues with doing prefix delegation downstream (to any other routers you
may have on your network).

Shaw is basically worthless when it comes to IPv6. They only support it
on their top-tier service, and even then they only give the customer a
single /64, which is not in accordance with best practices (BCOP 690). I
look forward to the Rogers guys taking over, as they have been doing
IPv6 well for years now in Ontario.

https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-690

Telus is "better" in that they will give you a /56, but they don't give
you a static prefix, which means you will get a different /56 every time
you connect (also doesn't follow BCOP 690).

I can't speak to pfsense, but if you would like to see OpenWrt in action
(the defaults work great for IPv6), please consider coming to one of our
VicPiMakers meetings where I have an OpenWrt router doing a wireguard
VPN tunneling IPv6 back to my DMZ at my house. I will be happy to talk
to you about IPv6 and OpenWrt.

http://www.makikiweb.com/ipv6/wireguard_on_openwrt.html

warm regards,

Craig...