[VicPiMakers Projects] assistance required with surface mount repair

David Gates davidbgates at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 12 23:05:52 EDT 2023

Hello everyone!
First the back story... about a year ago I spilled a pint of water (with about an ounce of lime juice, for good measure) through my laptop.  I quickly turned it off, unplugged it, and removed the primary and bios batteries.  I then soaked it in and rinsed it with deionized water, gave it the same treatment with 99% isopropyl alcohol, dried it off with compressed air, and put it in a sealed container with a chemical dehumidifier for two days for good measure.  I reassembled it and plugged it in... and... it worked!... until the end of last week...

So now it looks like a single surface mount component blew up (probably due to an excess of thermal paste) and may have damaged another surface mount integrated circuit on its way out.  I have found a board-view file for the motherboard though, so should be able to source the required components for a repair!

So, what I am wondering is:
 1) does anyone have a program which will allow me to view board-view files? (.cad extension)
 2) does anyone have experience with surface mount electronics?

I don't think it will be enough of a project to get a group of people together, but if people are interested, we can look into setting up a meeting... I can also document and post the experience if people are interested.

This is a bit of a time sensitive issue for me as I am limping along on an old laptop at the moment 😕... I would much rather repair what I have though; save a few dollars - and keep it out of the landfill...

Any assistance is most appreciated!
Dave.