[VicPiMakers Projects] The benefits of coroplast for microprocessor projects.

George Bowden gtbowdeng at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:18:58 EDT 2022

Hi All.
I thought I might pass along some of the benefits of using coroplast in
projects. Coroplast is corrugated polypropylene.  It is easily cut with an
Exacto knife, and right angle bends can be made by cutting one side only,

   1. MCUs like ESP32 and PiPico are electrically protected by mounting
   them on a square of coroplast.  A 3x3 inch square keeps the MCU from
   flopping around or shorting on your desk.   Slice two slits for the pins
   along the corrugation rows on one side only of the Coroplast, and press the
   MCU into the slits.  The slits grab the MCU firmly.  I have
   2. Commercial isotactic Polypropylene has a melting point that ranges
   from 160 to 166 °C (320 to 331 °F), so it is good for warm projects.
   3. It is easily cut with an Exacto knife, and right-angle bends can be
   made by cutting one side only,  A box for a project is electrically
   insulated, but not waterproof
   4. Holes for screws and wires are easily melted with a soldering iron.
   Wipe the soldering iron on a wad of paper to remove melted plastic before
   it stinks.
   5. Disconnected Dupont wires can be pushed into the corrugation tubes to
   prevent them from shorting accidentally into the electronics
   6. It is available in 2x4 foot sheets, 4x4, and 4x8.
   7. It is a good measure of electoral candidates' environmental
   commitment when you ask them for their signs after an election.

--
George Bowden  250-893-7423
Victoria BC